Monday, March 15, 2010

Do we always just ask for things?

Sunday Monday!
Sunday Sermon on Monday Morning!
Forsaken? What does this word really mean to you or me or anyone?

Well this is what Webster has to say about is..
1. To quit or leave entirely; to desert; to abandon; to depart or withdraw from; to leave; as, false friends and flatterers forsake us in adversity. [1913 Webster]

But really what does this mean to you when do you use this word? When referring to our children they have forsaken us or when we talk about out cat's that have pooped in the garage 15 times and just don't get that every time I tell them if you d this one more time, I am really serious. Or is this a word you reserve just for God. Our Sermon yesterday was about this. The title where is God when I feel forsaken. Well it got me thinking and yes I think for me I only have used this term in yucky circumstances and more when my walk with the Lord is not where it should be.

I think the pastor hit it right on the head when he said we usually use this term with God in three main instances obviously there are more but the three main are when our health, finances or relationships are in trouble. This is true we don't think well why has God forsaken me when our dishes are piling up and there are a million loads of laundry to do and there is absolutely no more time because you have to run the kids to 50 million different activities.

Why is that? Our pastor said that a lot of times in our life when we feel forsaken we run as far from God as possible when we should be running straight towards him. I know that sometimes when I have all the distractions of things that need to get done in the house or the yard that needs to be tended to that they take priority over sitting down and digging in the word for an hour or so that day. What am I doing I am running away and letting things get in the way when I should be running to his word for guidance in my days.

Back to the big stuff when we have things going wrong in all these major areas of our life or even minor and we do feel forsaken. What do we do if we aren't running away usually we are praying and asking or even begging for the Lord to just fix it. I know this because I know of many occasions I have done this. I have cried in my living room for the Lord to just fix it. I need this Lord and I need that Lord. I know you say well the Lord said to ask me for it and I will do it. Yes it does say that in John 14:14 " You may ask Me for anything in My name and I will do it." And yes it is even in red in the bible I am using today.

Here are a few verses for you to consider:

1 Chronicles 28:20 (New International Version)
20 David also said to Solomon his son, "Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the LORD is finished.

Psalm 37:28 (New International Version)
28 For the LORD loves the just and will not forsake his faithful ones. They will be protected forever, but the offspring of the wicked will be cut off;

Hebrews 13:5 (New International Version)
5Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."[a]

Deuteronomy 31:6 (New International Version)
6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

What if the attitude we had when we felt forsaken wasn't to ask for all these things to be fixed but to praise him. Praise him for the things he has done. You feel like there is never enough money, instead of asking for him to give you a promotion or a better job why not praise him for the job you have thank him and praise him for blessing you and your family with a job because so many people do not have a job. When you go to the Doctor and find out you have cancer and only have two months to live. Instead of saying where are you God, why have you let this happen just take it away. Why not praise him for the time you have had with your family and the time you have left to spend with them.

Please hear me and know that I am not saying I do this all the time or that you have to do this but we should all sing the Lord's praises and I know I am working and will continue to ask for what I really need but at the same time I will praise him for everything he is doing or has done for me.

Challenge for the week: I challenge you to read Psalm 22 and spend some time meditating on it and get out a journal or what ever you like to write in and write down those things that you worry about or you feel the Lord may have forsaken you in. Now underneath it write God Cares About These Things. Now draw a line underneath and write down some things you can praise God for they don't have to be big things but what ever you feel like you want and need to praise him for. Now I challenge you to spend at least one hour in prayer this week focusing on praising God for all these things and really pour your hear out into this. We will get back to it later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment